What is a fire safety certificate?
A fire safety certificate documents that a certain product meets the mandatory fire safety requirements according to the laws of the Russian Federation and has passed the necessary tests.
With this certificate it is possible to import products that require fire safety through the Russian customs and sell them in Russia. These fire safety regulations are established in the Federal Law of the Russian Federation No. 123-FZ of July 22, 2008 “Technical regulation on fire safety requirements”. To obtain an EAC certificate for products that fall under fire safety requirements, a fire safety certificate must be obtained first. Compliance with these regulations are tested by specialized fire safety testing laboratories.
Following documents build the legal basis of fire safety certification:
- Technical regulation on fire safety requirements No. 123-FZ from 22.07.2008
- Government decree of the Russian Federation No. 241 from 17.03.2009
- TR EAEU 043/2017 “On requirements for fire safety and fire-fighting”
The products subject to mandatory fire certification and their customs tariff code numbers are listed in the government decree of the Russian Federation No. 241 of March 17, 2009. Here are just some examples:
- fire safety equipment
- heat generators
- electrical appliances
- electrical wiring protection systems
- building materials and equipment
How to obtain a fire safety certificate?
The following documents are required from a manufacturer to obtain a fire safety certificate:
- Company documents
- Product shipment contract
- Invoice and shipment contract specifications
- Test reports about the compliance with fire safety standards
- Product samples
Certification process consists of the following steps:
- The producer or their authorized representative in Russia submits product documentation and applies to an accredited fire certification body. Sometimes manufacturers already have some test reports, in that case these could be used depending on the recognition.
- Samples undergo laboratory testing for different qualities such as ignitability, flammability, smoke forming ability, toxicity.
- Certification body conducts necessary production controls that are required by the quality certification scheme.
- A test protocol is drawn up based on the expert assessment of the tests and documentation.
- Certification body enters the data into the Fire Certificate Register of the Federal Accreditation Service website.
Depending on the certification scheme, yearly production control may be required.
Validity period of fire safety certificate
The certificate is valid for 1 to 5 years, depending on the certification scheme. If the certificate is issued for a batch of goods, its validity period is equal to the product usage lifetime.