What is the GOST R certificate?
The GOST R certificate documents the conformity of the goods for the requirements of the quality control system GOST R (National Standard of Russia).
The GOST R system replaced the Soviet GOST standard in 1992. The requirements do not differ much from the former Soviet ones. Since 2009, the GOST R standard has been gradually replaced by Technical Regulations of the Customs Union (TR CU). However, some goods that do not fall under categories listed in Technical Regulations are still subject to mandatory certification in the GOST R system, such as:
- central heating radiators
- turbines, gas turbine units
- steam boilers
- electric welding equipment
- high voltage electrical equipment
- metalworking machines
- fixtures, lamps
- household electrical appliances, etc.
The list of goods subject to mandatory certification in the GOST R system can be found in the government decree of the of the Russian Federation No. 982 from 01.12.2009. The GOST R certificate of conformity is required for the import and sale of the listed products in Russia. The document is only valid on the territory of the Russian Federation.
If the product is not subject to mandatory certification, the manufacturer may obtain a voluntary GOST R certificate of conformity. Compliance with the GOST standard is associated with high quality of the product and builds up customers’ trust, thus increasing its attractiveness in the Russian market.
How to obtain a GOST R certificate?
Procedure for the certification in the GOST R system is as follows:
- Our company reviews the submitted product documentation and determines whether the products are subject to GOST R certification. If the goods fall under the Technical Regulations of the Customs Union, we can offer you a EAC Certificate or Declaration of Conformity.
- Product documentation is provided to the accredited certification body.
- Product samples may be needed for testing.
- An expert may be required to visit the production facilities to inspect the production process.
- An accredited laboratory conducts product testing, examines product documentation, and draws up a test report.
- Based on the results of the audit, the certification body makes issues a certificate.
The exact certification process depends on the selected certification scheme. For example, in case with a one-time shipment of a small batch of goods, an expert’s visit or laboratory tests may not be required. Only the companies accredited by Federal Accreditation Service are entitled to issue GOST R certificates of compliance.
Validity period of a GOST R certificate
The GOST R certificate of conformity for a series of goods is issued for a period of up to 3 years. If the certificate is issued for a single batch of goods or a single item, then its valid for as long as takes to sell the entire batch of goods.